4 Ways to Keep the Mice From Stirring This Holiday Season
Not a creature was stirring, except… a mouse?!
Ahh, winter: the time when we don’t see mosquitoes or other warm-weather pests, and a time when you may think you don’t need a pest control plan. But as temperatures drop outside and the heat is turned up inside, you may have other problems — mice.
Now is a big time for mice to seek shelter in your warm attic or in the walls of your home. If you think you might have a mouse problem, or if you’re worried you’re not totally protected, now is the time to do something about it!
The good news is that mice, while small, don’t tend to be very cautious, making them easier to catch and remove. Here’s what you need to know:
How do you know if you have a mouse problem?
- Look for droppings. They’re typically very small, black, and rod-shaped with pointed ends.
- Keep an eye out for openings. Because of their small size, they can fit through spaces as small as ¼ inch, so keep an eye out for small gaps and holes throughout your home.
- Listen for unusual sounds, especially at night.
- Search for gnawed areas inside your home — especially around areas with openings.
How do you get rid of mice?
- Act quickly! Mice breed often and can reproduce in less than 6 weeks, meaning you have a higher chance of finding an entire family if you wait too long.
- Identify entry points, nesting areas, and current or potential food sources.
- The quickest and most effective way to get rid of mice in your home is to call in a pest control company. We’ll be able to identify the best plan of action to keep your home safe and mouse-free.
How do you prevent mice in the future?
- Seal potential points of entry — any gaps or holes in or around your home.
- Store food and pet food in airtight containers so mice don’t have a food source.
- Take out the trash regularly.
- Keep a clean home and clean up spills immediately.
If you have any questions about removing or preventing mice in your home, call us at 866-658-4205!