You know that winter is finally upon us when the air is crisp, mornings are chilly, and the aroma of stink bugs has filled the air. While we do love everything that the season has to offer, stink bugs in winter are definitely something we’re sure you could live without. To replace the stinky scent of these critters with something a little more pleasant (we suggest a pine-tree scented candle), follow these 5 tips.
1. Rub your window screens with dryer sheets: We’re not totally sure why stink bugs hate dryer sheets, but good thing they do! Rub your dryer sheets on your window screens to prevent these stinky guys from crawling through your windows – the more pungent the dryer sheet, the better!
2. The ole squish tactic: If you see a few stink bugs flocking around outdoors on your deck or doorstep, squish them! While it may be a bit stinky momentarily, the odor from their fallen comrade will prevent other stink bugs from coming in.
3. Bring out the night light: Stink bugs tend to flock toward lights, so before bed, fill up a wide pan with soapy water and put it in your stink-bug infested room. Then put your night light above the dish so that when the stink bugs fall off of the light, they’ll plop into the water.
4. Caulk any cracks or crevices: Any unattended cracks or crevices in your house are an open invitation for stink bugs to make themselves at home. Do a quick inspection of your home and caulk up any cracked seals around entry points, doors, and windows.
5. Call in the pros: Sometimes the best thing you can do to get rid of stink bugs before they really become a problem is to call in the pros. That way you can sleep soundly without having to worry about a stink bug sharing the bed with you or worse – crawling into your mouth at night.
Whether stink bugs are smelling up your home in the winter, spring, summer, or fall, your neighborhood Bug Guys have you covered. Just reach out to us here and we’ll get your home back to smelling like roses and sweet peas in no time.