While finding a ladybug or two around your house may seem like a sign that good luck is headed your way, it could also be foreshadowing an overwhelming infestation. Even though ladybugs are considered a beneficial insect in the garden, in the home they can turn into a nuisance. Follow these steps to get rid of ladybugs around your home.
1. Vacuum them up: If you have just a few ladybugs roaming around, you shouldn’t need anything more than your average vacuum cleaner to suck them up. Make sure you throw away the vacuum bag to ensure no ladybugs make their way back into your home.
2. Spray their hangouts with vinegar: Ladybugs release pheromones that attract other ladybugs to their hangouts. To remove this scent you can spray common areas with white vinegar. This vinegar also kills the ladybugs on contact.
3. Trap them with dish soap and water: Place a small bowl filled with dish soap and water into a well lit area (by windows/white light lamps). The ladybugs will land in the water and become trapped.
4. Call pest control experts: Even though it’s uncommon to have a big ladybug infestation, it’s best practice to call your pest control professionals before it’s too late.
1. Use citronella candles: Leom, lime, and orange citronella candles repel ladybugs.
2. Seal entryways with weatherstripping: This minimizes ways that ladybugs can enter your home.
3. Install window screens: This allows you to enjoy fresh air in your home while keeping ladybugs out.