How to Get Rid of Wasp Nests￼
Buzzzz! The sound of wasps is terrifying and the sight of them swarming around your home is even worse. When determining how to get rid of a wasp nest, it is important to think about your safety first. Below you can find our guide to getting rid of wasp nests safely.
How to get rid of wasp nests:
- Find the nest – The first line of business is to find the nest and decide whether you want to tackle the removal or call in the pros. We are always happy to help!
- Prepare with the right clothing – If you decide to get rid of the nest yourself, then it is important to ensure that you are covered head to toe in proper clothing to avoid any possible stings.
- Spray the nest – The best time to spray the nest is late in the evening when the wasps are dormant. You can purchase an insecticide wasp spray with a nozzle from your local hardware store to ensure that you spray them from a distance!
- Soap and water – If you decide not to spray with chemicals, a soap and water mixture is always an alternative option. You can create a DIY mixture of 2 tablespoons of dish soap and 8 ounces of water and blast the nest.
- Take cover – It doesn’t matter what method you use – make sure to take cover. Disturbing a wasp nest will always create angry wasps, and you want to make sure that you are not in their line of fire.
How to prevent wasp nests in the future:
- Seal all cracks and entry points surrounding your home
- Use peppermint oil
- Consistently treat future nesting areas
- Place wasp traps outside your home
- Create decoy nests to scare wasps away – Wasps are extremely territorial. If they see a decoy nest close to your home, they will likely avoid building one around your home at all costs. Here’s how to create a decoy nest:
- Stuff a small brown paper bag with newspaper
- Tie the top with a string
- Hang from the desired location
If you’re still having trouble with wasp nests or don’t feel comfortable removing one yourself, our team would be happy to help! Reach out to us here or give us a call at – 706-309-0881.