Improve Your Yard & Eliminate Bugs Just in Time for Your 4th of July Party
The 4th of July is almost here, so you know what that means: it’s time for backyard parties!
Homeowners everywhere are planning their 4th of July parties. Are you one of them? If you are, you may be overwhelmed just thinking about what still needs to be done. After all, you want the ultimate 4th of July party, right?
Luckily, there are a few simple (and fun!) things you can do to improve your yard in time for your party, and they can even help prevent bugs in your yard — that’s right, it is possible to have a pest-free 4th of July party!
Impress your neighbors and your guests, and pay homage to this country properly with just a few fun projects!
- Update your deck. Your deck is a hot spot for termites, ants, bees, and other pesky pests. Seal it with a new protective coat of paint to help protect it. It’s also important to trim plants away from your deck and remove any standing water nearby in order to eliminate hiding places and breeding grounds for pests. Your deck has likely been subjected to cold temperatures, leaves, and maybe even ice and snow. Check for splintered or warped boards and remove all debris from cracks between boards. Also, use this time to update your deck and give it a fresh new look!
- Get rid of clutter. Whether you have clutter in your garage, on your deck or patio, or in your backyard, it’s time to get rid of it. Critters love clutter and will often make homes in boxes, especially if they’re kept on the ground. Clutter can also attract bugs — and no one wants to deal with larvae or spider webs when they’re spring cleaning.
- Focus on your lawn. A clean, maintained lawn looks great, but can also keep pests away. Pests love leaves and wet, dark places, so the more you rake and mow your lawn, the safer your yard will be. Also be sure to remove any standing water — do you have areas of your lawn where water collects easily? Consider adding draining or aerating systems in order to eliminate standing water and thus mosquitoes. While you’re at it, clean out your gutters and any other areas where water might accumulate.
- Add outdoor lighting. If you already have outdoor lighting in place, now is a great time to check that it still works (chances are, you haven’t used your outdoor lighting all winter). Don’t have any outdoor lighting yet, or need a refresher? Consider adding string lights interlaced with torches. This combination will give a natural, relaxing feel to your party, but won’t take away from the fireworks you’ll be seeing all night. As a bonus, these yellow bug lights look great and will help keep those pesky bugs away all night long!
- Build a fire pit. Everyone loves a good bonfire! Smoke is a natural insect repellent, but there are also a few things you can add to your fire to make it even more effective. Sage can help keep insects away (and it smells great, too!). Simply add some to your fire and let it burn along with the rest of your wood and tinder. This article offers 38 easy and fun DIY fire pits that can change the entire feel of your backyard!
- Call in the pros. To add an extra layer of security, we offer one-time mosquito treatments. We’ll come two days before your party and take care of those pesky mosquitoes so you don’t have to worry.
Have any other pest problems that require a little more action than the projects listed above? Call us! We’ll come give you a free quote and in-home inspection so we can find you the best solution.