Dogs are a man’s best friend, and cats are the biggest cuddle bugs, but once you see a tiny black flea jump from their fluffy fur, you might begin to think twice about letting them cuddle up next to you on the couch or in bed. While one little flea may not seem like a big deal, a flea infestation in your home can cause a lot of issues for both you and your pet.
What to do if you have a flea infestation:
1. Treat the source of the problem: first things first, you need to eliminate the source of the problem. We don’t mean to say farewell to your furry friend, we just mean giving them a good cleaning to remove any fleas that are still living in their fluffy coat.
Steps for removing fleas on pets:
2. Prep your home for a deep clean: After you’ve said farewell to the fleas on your pets, it’s time to prep your home for a deep clean. Pick up all stray items from every carpeted area in your home, including toys, boxes, shoes, papers, blankets, and pillows. The goal is to have as much carpet space exposed as possible so you can ensure you’re vacuuming up every little flea.
3. Look for any other areas where fleas could be living: After you’ve exposed all of your carpet, you’ll want to do a thorough search of the rest of your home to scope out any other areas that fleas and their larva could be hiding. Be sure to check areas where your pets like to hang out the most, as wells as the darker areas of your home.
4. Start up the vacuum: Using a beater-bar style vacuum, give each room of your home a good run-through. Be sure you get under any furniture that you couldn’t move like couches, beds, and dressers and use corner attachments for baseboards, carpet edges, and window sills.
5. Call in the pest control pros: Even after you’ve vacuumed every nook and cranny in your home, you’re not quite out of the woods yet. The best way to ensure that you really have eliminated every flea from your home is to call in your neighborhood Bug Guys to give your home a flea treatment. That way you can get back to cuddling your flea-free furry friend in no time.