Pest Control Tips for New Homeowners
Congrats on your new home!
Buying a new home is exciting, but we all know you have plenty on your to-do list. The last thing you want to deal with is a pest infestation of any kind. That’s why it’s important to decide now to take certain measures to keep your home safe and pest-free!
Here are some things you can tackle as soon as you move in:
- Deep clean your new home. Most new homeowners want to do this anyway, but it doesn’t hurt to mention! Take some time before you start making your home feel like home to deep clean as much as you can. Having empty rooms makes this easy to tackle — so start early!
- Clean outside. Eliminate any debris in your yard or garden that might serve as pest hiding places or homes. Remove leaves from around your foundation, trim branches and bushes near your home, clean the gutters, and do a quick sweep of the garage.
- Remove standing water. Check outdoor faucets, gutters, birdbaths, buckets, and any other areas that may collect standing water. This is where mosquitoes love to hang out, so removing it now can help tremendously later.
- Seal cracks and openings. Check your foundation, siding joints, windows, and openings around pipes. Give these areas a nice seal with caulk or your favorite sealant. These are common entry points for pests, from tiny ants to small rodents. Plus, sealing can help reduce energy consumption, and who doesn’t love saving some extra cash each month?
- Check the landscaping. Chances are, you’ll want to update this over time as you settle into your home, but the first (and most vital) step you can tackle right away is removing mulch and firewood from your foundation. Remember: termites love wood, so you want to keep them as far away from your home as possible!
These things are extremely vital in setting you up for new homeownership success. However, they won’t do much without regular upkeep of your home.
Here are some things you can continue to do once you’re settled in to keep those pests away:
- Keep the kitchen clean! This includes any food prep areas, counters, cabinets, and floors.
- Store opened food products in airtight containers above ground level.
- Empty your trash often (this includes those trash cans you may forget about — like bathrooms and the guest bedroom).
- Never leave dirty dishes out overnight.
- Keep the moisture and humidity at proper levels. If it’s too dry or too humid, you may be more prone to a pest problem.
- Vacuum and sweep regularly. It’s not just the ones you see; it’s the ones you don’t see that you need to worry about!
- Set up a regular pest protection plan! Call your local Bug House crew to set up a quarterly treatment to protect your home from pests.
Preventative measures may require some time upfront, but they’re much easier on you, your home, and your wallet than it is to treat an infestation. As you explore this new adventure of owning a home, remember to have fun, think ahead, and set yourself up for success!