Summer Mosquito Control: The Homeowner’s Survival Guide
Mosquitoes can be quite a nuisance, putting a damper on all the fun summer outdoor activities. And they aren’t just annoying; they’re dangerous! They always seem to find a way to make their presence known and make things uncomfortable for everyone.
Bug House wants you to enjoy your yard to the fullest this summer, so we created the ultimate mosquito survival guide! In this blog, we explore all the most effective ways to eliminate and prevent those pesky summer bugs.
What Attracts Mosquitoes?
These pests don’t take much to thrive in your yard; even a little rain can create a breeding ground for mosquitoes. They’re most active during twilight and the early morning, but they can be a constant nuisance throughout the day if the conditions around your home promote their activity.
Here’s What You Can Do
- Eliminate standing water: If you’re trying to keep pesky mosquitoes away from your yard, getting rid of any standing water is super important. That means cleaning out things like bird baths, flower pots, and buckets. And don’t forget to clear out your gutters and fix any drainage issues.
- Use mosquito repellents: It’s important to protect your skin from bugs by using insect repellents such as DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus. Alternatively, you can use natural repellents like citronella oil or lemon eucalyptus oil. Always follow the instructions on the product label.
- Install screens: Keep doors and windows fitted with screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home. Repair any damaged screens to ensure they are intact and properly sealed.
- Consider mosquito-repellent plants: Certain plants, such as citronella, lavender, marigolds, and catnip, are known to repel mosquitoes. Plant them strategically in your yard, particularly near seating areas, to help deter mosquitoes. However, note that their effectiveness may vary, and relying solely on plants may not provide complete protection.
- Use mosquito traps: Mosquito traps can be effective in reducing mosquito populations in your yard. There are various types available, such as carbon dioxide-based traps or UV light traps. Research and choose a trap that suits your needs and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for optimal use.
- Keep your yard well-maintained: Regularly mow your lawn, trim shrubs, and remove overgrown vegetation. Mosquitoes tend to rest in shaded areas during the day, so allowing more sunlight into your yard can discourage them. Additionally, keeping your yard tidy minimizes potential mosquito hiding spots.
- Time your outdoor activities: Mosquitoes are most active during dawn and dusk, so consider scheduling your outdoor activities accordingly. If possible, avoid spending time outside during these peak mosquito periods.
- Consider professional treatments: If mosquitoes persist despite your efforts, you may want to consult with a professional pest control service. They can provide specialized treatments to control mosquito populations in your yard.
Seasonal Mosquito Solutions From The Bug House Pros
Regain control of your yard this summer with Bug House’s advanced outdoor mosquito treatments. Our expert pest management team utilizes a powerful combination of methods to provide an immediate and effective counter-attack against mosquitoes, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor space without the annoyance of pesky insects.
We offer two different solution application schedules to meet your needs:
- Monthly treatment: For a flat monthly rate, Bug House ensures a mosquito-free yard year-round.
- One-time treatment: Ideal for special events, Bug House’s one-time treatment service effectively eliminates mosquitoes over half an acre of your outdoor space.
Mosquito treatments are also included in our Defender package. You can learn about all of our packages and pricing here.
Without a doubt, mosquito treatment is vital from March to September. However, Bug House recommends year-round spraying once every month as the ideal implementation. Monthly treatment quells mosquito populations so that treatments during the summer months require less intensity to keep pests at bay.
What To Expect From Bug House’s Mosquito Treatment
No one likes mosquitoes, but everyone likes getting something for free! We’ll come to your home to perform a free, thorough inspection and give you an honest evaluation and quote.
Your Perfect Plan
We’ll walk you through all the plans Bug House offers and help you pick the best option.
You can trust you’ll have an expert pest control technician each time. The Bug House team aims to treat your home with care and quality service every time.
While we promise to give you the best service around, pests are just that – they’re pests! If they’re still bugging you after we treat your home, we’ll return at no charge and make sure you’re satisfied.